Protecting Your Employees From Harmful Oil Mist and Smoke
Health and safety issues are now being taken very seriously by a growing number of companies. Many large US manufacturers are planning ahead and adopting European exposure limits as a global standard for their entire company and are exceeding OSHA Standards. The exposure limits these companies are targeting range from .02 – 1 mg/m3 depending on company policy. Older mist collector technology simply cannot provide these higher requirements. The National Board of Occupational Safety and Health has therefore drawn up specific limit values for this. The current limit value for the emission of aerosols in industrial premises is 5 mg/m3.
What are the risks?
The risks that are most often associated with large concentrations of oil mist or oil smoke are the following:
• Oil mist can contain small metallic particles, bacteria and spores that can give rise to respiratory problems.
• Can cause skin problems, including oil acne and eczema.
• Increased risk of slipping – oil mist eventually settles on the floor.
• Oil mist accumulating on surfaces inside HVAC systems will impair its function, efficiency, filter life and will foul indoor air.
• Generally unclean environment due to the oil attracting other impurities causing them to stick to machines and other equipment.
• Oil mist harms the electronics in modern metalworking machines.
How do you protect your workers' health from oil mist and oil smoke?
The most common and effective method of collecting oil mist / oil smoke is at the source, i.e. directly at the metalworking machine. This is possible both in the case of completely enclosed machines and open machines. In an enclosed machine, negative air pressure is created in the space where the machining operations take place. The oil-laden air is sucked out of the enclosure and conveyed through a duct to the filter unit. After the air has been filtered, it is returned to the premises. If open machines are installed, it is common to try to capture oil mist/smoke in some kind of hood or superstructure and from there convey it through a duct to the filter unit.
What to use to filter the oil mist and oil smoke?
When you are looking for a superior performance and low TCO (total cost of ownership) solution to your oil mist filtration and oil smoke filtration project please contact the experts at Clean Air America, Inc. The Clean Air Zero Mist is your go to product for the best oil smoke and oil mist filtration on the market. Clean Air Zero Mist™ offers more than just health and safety resolution. Through a comprehensive product range Clean Air Zero Mist™ can improve productivity, lower numerous costs, and reduce energy consumption-through a low maintenance and easy-to-install design. In addition to the standard range of oil mist eliminators, we can also provide fully-designed complete oil mist removal systems tailored to suit your exact needs. So whether your existing system is failing or you have no system at all, count on Clean Air America, Inc. to provide a complete turnkey, cost effective, reliable solution to your oil mist problem.
Zero Mist™ Benefits
- Exceeds International Health & safety Standards
- Can be connected to several Machine tools
- Designed to work continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Cleaned air can be returned directly to production area
- Technology based on Fiber Bed Principle which is the most efficient on the market
- Various models available ranging from 400-50,000 CFM
- Eliminates coolant mist (neat oil or emulsion)
- Removes harmful particles inc. bacteria
- Extremely low maintenance
- Main filter life can exceed 5 years
- Reuse separated oil
- Speed up production process
- Reduces power consumption
Partnering with Clean Air America
Clean Air America builds long lasting business partners, not just customers.
- We use and offer environmentally friendly materials like: 100% recycled steel, LED Lights, High Efficiency motors, Variable Frequency Drives, and Sound Damping materials.
- We offer and select the most efficient, lowest cost, highest performing applications.
- We always listen to what you want first before recommending what we feel will be the best application.
- Over 40 years of industrial air filtration experience.
- Offer 100% turnkey service, from the initial site visit to complete installation.
- Our filtration equipment is 100% American made.
- We offer factory direct pricing.
- We have a full staff of engineers to show each application in detail so you can understand our design before your purchasing decision is made.
- Our recommended applications always protect not only the workers health but the environment as well.